Google+





Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ricky Gervais Adds A Dimension To His Own Children's FLANIMALS Books?

Jim here. Well I didn't know Ricky Gervais had a series of children's books entitled FLANIMALS, but with his decision to bring the property to 3D he has generated quite a bit of interest on my part.

Apparently Matt Selman (THE SIMPSONS) will write the script and Gervais will live vicariously through voicing his own lead character as well as executive produce. Chris Meledandri and Courtney Pledger will produce.

From Variety: The four-volume series, illustrated by Rob Steen, encompasses a world inhabited by 50 species of creatures so ugly and misshapen they become cute and endearing. Gervais' character, a pudgy, perspiring purple creature, goes on a mission to change the world. "It will be great to play a short, fat, sweaty loser for a change," Gervais said. "A real stretch."

The animation will be done through Universal's Illumination offshoot. For me, I am a bit nervous whenever a lesser known shop decides to tackle stereoscopic 3D animation. I really don't want to sit through bad 3D. I give the benefit of the doubt where it warranted so lets see how well they can pull this off.

I am ALSO GOING OUT ON A LIMB HERE as Variety posted that this will be a 3-D movie. Frequently animators call their work 3D whenever they use a creative style that shows depth like SHREK as opposed to something like FAMILY GUY. However 3-D is typically reserved for stereoscopic 3D. Yeah I know. That uncoordinated terminology within the same industry is a gigantic nuisance. I could very well be pulling this post tomorrow if someone enlightens me that it is really only 2D. Oh well. Here is hoping for a nice, well made stereo surprise.

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.