Google+





Thursday, July 25, 2013

HOBBIT: Last Day of Shooting PJ Blogging All Day!

Tim here, and it looks like today is the last day of shooting on The Hobbit films. This information comes from Peter Jackson's Facebook Page, and as a surprise treat Peter Jackson has promised to blog from the set all day! He started off with a picture (left) from his iPad and a note. Below is his first blog note:

Our last day of shooting.

Ever since starting these blogs, there's been something I thought I'd like to try one day (as well as answering the other 19 questions I owe you!) - blogging throughout a shoot day in real time. Try to give you all a feeling for what we deal with on an average day.

Today is not exactly "average", given it's our last day of shooting, but if I don't do it today, I never will!

So here goes ... I'll try to update as much as I can during the day. At least with a quick photo. Text will depend a little on how busy it gets.

Right now, it's just gone 6.30am here in Wellington. I'm in bed, about to get up! I didn't get much sleep - too stressed about how we're going to get through everything we need to shoot. I kept running it over in my mind.

We're shooting scenes for Film 3 today. Stuff you will see in Dec 2014, so I'm going to try and make this honest, but spoiler free.

I've been lying here in pitch darkness, watching fight rehearsals over and over again. Our stunt co-ordinatior, Glen Boswell, worked with the actors last weekend, designing some climatic battle moments. He filmed them, and I have them on my iPad, in an application we wrote called "WingNut TV". It's a program that allows a huge amount of material to be catalog used and updated each day over the Internet. It contains all our dailies, edited films, previs, music, and much more. I'm looking at the fights, figuring out the angles I'll need to film them today. A huge amount to do, and it needs to get done.

Our shoot day starts at 8.30am, and is supposed to finish at 7.30pm. I suspect we'll be working late. Whenever we work a long day, I joke with the crew that I'm just softening them up for when Jim Cameron shows up in Wellington to shoot Avatar 2 and 3. Well ... It's not really a joke.

I'll try and update often today.

Make sure to check in regularly to see what more he posts! We'll post a recap when he finishes all his posts. Also, don't forget to scroll down to see the pic he posted yesterday of him with the early release model of the next generation RED camera... "The Dragon"

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug hits IMAX 3D and RealD 3D theaters December 13th, 2013, and The Hobbit: There and Back Again hits IMAX 3D and RealD 3D theaters December 17th, 2014.

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.